Turtle Bark-Makes one 8×8 pan | Preparation line 8×8 pan with nonstick foil
• ½ cup pecans, toasted
Caramel Filling• ½ cup sugar
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 5 tablespoon heavy cream
• 16oz Ghirardelli 65% chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon pecans, finely chopped
- 2oz caramel sauce
- Toasting the pecans: Place pecans on bake sheet pan and toast at 375 degrees for about 5-6 minutes then stir for even toasting and bake for another 5-6 minutes or until nuts darken and smell delish. Remove from oven and cool. Once cooled; chop and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons of chopped pecans and chop it some for a finely chopped consistency; set aside for the end.
- To make the caramel filling: Add sugar and water into a saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Use a wet brush to remove any crystals that form on the side. Once sugar has dissolved increase heat to high. Now and then, using the handle give the pot a swirl to keep the mixture moving. Do not stir the mixture directly. The mixture will start to bubble after a minute. As the mixture darkens to a medium amber color, approximately 5-7 minutes, add the butter and heavy cream to saucepan. The mixture will bubble wildly. Whisk to combine (bubbles will subside upon cooling). Set aside to cool completely.
- To melt the chocolate: Melt gently in the micrwave.
- To assemble: Pour half of melted chocolate into 8×8 pans, using an offset icing spatula smooth out chocolate until an even layer is achieved. Place pan in refrigerator for 5 minutes for chocolate to become slightly harden. Remove from refrigerator and pour ¼ of caramel on top and sprinkle pecans on top of caramel and gently press pecans down into caramel. Place pan in refrigerator for 7 minutes for caramel to become slightly harden. Pour remaining chocolate on top and return to refrigerator for 20 minutes for fully assembled Turtle bark to set
- Finish top by sprinkling remaining 2 tablespoons of finely chopped pecans. Drizzle with caramel.
RECIPE ADAPTED FROM BAKERS ROYALE