Wednesday, November 30, 2011
1 ½ cups pecans
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
10 extra-large egg yolks(reserve the egg whites for the meringue)
1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Zest of 2 lemons
2 TBSP unsalted butter
10 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
3 cups sugar
To make the crust:
Preheat the oven to 350F. Arrange the pecans on a baking sheet in a single layer and toast them in the oven for 7-9 minutes, until golden brown and aromatic. Coarsely chop your nuts.
With your fingers, butter eight 4 3/8 inch, 1 cup capacity disposable foil tartlet pans.
Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl on medium-high speed until fluffy. Add the vanilla, then gradually add the flour and salt and combine on low speed until incorporated. Add the nuts and mix on low speed just until they are incorporated. Form the dough into a ball-it will be stickY-and cover it with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, divide into 8 equal portions and press into the prepared pans, making sure it comes up to the top edge of the pans. If the dough sticks to your hands, dust them with flour as often as necessary.
Bake the crust about 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool for at least 30 minutes before filling with lemon curd.
To make the curd:
Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, and zest in the top of a double boiler. Add the butter to the egg yolk mixture and whisk until melted and smooth. Cook about 40 minutes, stirring about every 15 minutes. The curd should be thick, resembling the consistency of loose custard. Transfer the warm mixture to a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap onto the surface of the curd, sealing it and leaving no air between the wrap and the curd. Refrigerate the curd for at least 4 hours and up to 3 days. For express cooling, freeze it for at least 1 hour.
Making the meringue:
Set a large, perfectly clean metal bowl over a pot of simmering water. Pour in the egg white and sugar. Heat the egg whites and sugar while whisking constantly until the sugar melts and there are no visible grains in the meringue. Take a little meringue mixture and rub it between your fingers to make sure all sugar grains have melted. Remove the meringue from over the simmering water and whip it with a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment on low speed for 5 minutes; increase the speed to high and beat 5 minutes longer, until the meringue is stiff and shiny.
Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the broiler. To assemble the tarts, spoon the chilled lemon curd into the crusts, filling them about three-quarters of the way to the top. Pile the meringue on top of the curd. Style the meringue with your fingers by plucking at it to tease the meringue into jagged spikes.
Set the tarts on the middle rack of the oven and broil until the meringue topping turns golden brown, about 1 minute. Watch the tarts closely, as they can turn from browned to burnt in a matter of seconds. I used a hand torch instead.
adapted from the pastry queen
Monday, November 28, 2011
2 POUNDS SWEET POTATOES
1/4 TSP. SALT
1/4C. BROWN SUGAR
1/4C. HEAVY CREAM
HANDFUL OF PECANS-MORE OR LESS DEPENDING ON YOUR TASTE-CHOPPED FINE
2T. BROWN SUGAR
2T. MELTED BUTTER
PREHEAT OVEN 400. BOIL POTATOES UNTIL TENDER. DRAIN, PEEL AND MASH THEM. ADD SALT, SUGAR, BUTTER, CREAM AND YOLKS. BEAT THE 3 EGG WHITES UNTIL STIFF AND FOLD THEM IN. SPREAD IN A SOUFFLE DISH. FOR THE TOPPING, COMBINE THE MELTED BUTTER, PECANS AND SUGAR AND SPREAD ON TOP! BAKE 30-35 MINUTES!
Sunday, November 27, 2011
ON A SCALE OF 1-10, THESE ARE A "20!"
8 OUNCES ALMOND PASTE
3/4 C. SUGAR
1/2 TSP. ALMOND EXTRACT
3/4 C. BUTTER (1 1/2 STICKS)
1 C. FLOUR
1/4 TSP. SALT
2/3 C.RASPBERRY JAM
1 BAG GHIRADELLI BITTERSWEET CHOC CHIPS
LINE THREE 8X8 PANS WITH NONSTICK FOIL. PREHEAT OVEN TO 350. IN MIXER, BEAT ALMOND PASTE, SUGAR, EXTRACT AND BUTTER TILL CREAMY. ON MEDIUM, ADD EGGS TILL INCORPORATED. ON LOW, ADD FLOUR AND SALT. DIVIDE THE BATTER EVENLY INTO 3 BOWLS-APPROX. 1 CUP IN EACH. TINT EACH BOWL A DIFF COLOR:PINK, YELLOW, GREEN. SPREAD EACH INTO ONE OF THE PANS AND SPREAD EVENLY WITH OFFSET SPATULA. BAKE 10-12 MINS UNTIL JUST BEGINNING TO BROWN IN CORNERS. DON'T LET CAKES BROWN. COOL 30 MINUTES IN PANS. FLIP ONE LAYER ONTO COOKIE SHEET LINED WITH NONSTICK FOIL AND PEEL AWAY THE FOIL IT BAKED ON. SPREAD ON 1/3C. JAM. FLIP ANOTHER LAYER ONTO THE JELLY-REMOVE FOIL AND SPREAD WITH THE REST OF THE JAM. TOP WITH FINAL LAYER. IF YOU LIKE YOURS FLATTER, PLACE FOIL ON TOP AND WEIGH DOWN WITH HEAVVVY BOOKS AND/OR CAS TO FLATTEN WHILE CHILLING IN FRIDGE. I DID NOT WEIGH THESE DOWN AS I WANTED A TALLER PRESENTATION. ONCE FIRM, MELT CHOC CHIPS IN MICROWAVE AND SPREAD ON TOPS. CHILL AGAIN. LET SIT A FEW MINS AT ROOM TEMP BEFORE CUTTING OR CHOCOLATE WILL CRACK.
THIS RECIPE DOUBLES WELL-JUST USE 9X13 PANS. FOR THE ONES ABOVE I CUT THE COOKIES USING COOKIE CUTTERS AND FULLY DIPPED IN THE MELTED CHOCOLATE!
Saturday, November 26, 2011
LAY A FRUIT ROLL UP FLAT ON THE COUNTER-PLACE SOME RICE KRISPY TREATS MIXTURE ON TOP, PATTING IT DOWN FIRMLY TO FIT THE ROLL-UP. LAY YOUR GUMMY CANDIES ON TOP. ROLL UP THE WHOLE THING JELLYROLL STYLE AND CUT WITH A SHARP KNIFE! SERVE WITH CHOPSTICKS.
TO TIE ON THE LARGE SHARKS, USE THINLY CUT FRUIT ROLLUPS AND A DOT OF WATER TO SEAL IT AROUND THE SUSHI PIECE.
Friday, November 25, 2011
Thursday, November 24, 2011
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Monday, November 21, 2011
Sunday, November 20, 2011
Saturday, November 19, 2011
Recipe: Peanut Butter Cup Fluffernutter Blondies-FROM COOKIES & CUPS!!!!
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp kosher salt
2 cups coarse chopped peanut butter cups (10.5 oz bag)
3/4 cup Marshmallow Fluff
Preheat oven to 350.
Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. (I LINED WITH NONSTICK FOIL)
Cream butter and peanut butter together.
Add sugars and beat until light and fluffy.
On medium speed add in eggs and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
Stir in your baking soda, salt and flour until just combined.
Fold in your chopped peanut butter cups.
Spread the batter in your prepared pan.
Drop your Fluff randomly on top of the batter and swirl in with a knife.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick placed 1 inch from side comes out clean. Don’t over bake.
Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
Cut into squares when cooled.
Friday, November 18, 2011
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups (1 large) leek, sliced, washed, and drained
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms (I OMITTED)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated fontina or Swiss cheese (I USED MOZZARELLA/PROVOLONE MIX)
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (OMITTED)
Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease a 9- or 10-inch deep-dish pie pan. Set up a strainer over a bowl.
1. Grate the onions into the strainer, and drain for 10 minutes, pressing out the extra liquid.
2.When the onions are drained, transfer them to a bowl and combine them with the salt, thyme and CORNSTARCH.
3. Grate the potatoes into the strainer. Press out any extra liquid, then combine with the onion mixture, mixing to combine.
4. Pat the mixture into pie pan and up the sides. Bake for 25 minutes to let the steam escape.
5. After 25 minutes, brush the potatoes with oil, then bake for 15 minutes more, until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and turn the oven temperature to 350°F.
6. While the crust is baking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and mushrooms and cook until the leeks are wilted, and the mushrooms give up their liquid and it cooks away (you don't want the vegetables to be juicy). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Transfer the vegetables to the baked crust, and sprinkle the cheese evenly on top.
8. Whisk the eggs, milk and Worcestershire together, and pour slowly over the vegetables. Return the quiche to the oven and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes, until the center is set. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
I PAN FRIED SOME CHICKEN SAUSAGE AND LAID IT ON TOP OF THE QUICHE BEFORE BAKING.
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
FIRST, MAKE A BATCH OF BROWNIES. THE ORIGINAL USED A BOX MIX BUT I OPTED FOR A HOMEMADE VERSION. HERE IT IS:
PREHEAT OVEN 350. MELT 1 STICK OF BUTTER. STIR IN 1/2C. COCOA POWDER. ADD 1C. SUGAR, 2 EGGS, 1TSP. VANILLA AND STIR. ADD 1/4TSP. SALT AND 1/4C. FLOUR. POUR INTO 8X8 LINED WITH NONSTICK FOIL AND BAKE 30-35 MINUTES. COOL COMPLETELY.
SPREAD 1 C. PEANUT BUTTER ACROSS THE BROWNIES.
SPRINKLE 2C. SALTED PRETZELS, COARSELY CHOPPED ON TOP AND LIGHTLY PRESS.
MELT 11OZ. CARAMEL BITS WITH 2T. HEAVY CREAM. STIR IN 1C. CHOPPED & SALTED PEANUTS. POUR ON TOP OF THE BARS.
MELT 1 BAG OF GHIRADELLI BITTERSWEET CHIPS AND POUR OVER THE BARS. CHILL UNTIL FIRM AND CUT INTO LARGE CHUNKS OR BARS! MMMMMM!
(RECIPE ADAPTED FROM CONFESSIONS OF A COOKBOOK QUEEN)
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Monday, November 14, 2011
VOILA!!!!! NOW YOU HAVE HOT FUDGE & PEANUT BUTTER BAKED UP TOGETHER!
Sunday, November 13, 2011
Saturday, November 12, 2011
Friday, November 11, 2011
1 cup raw, unsalted almonds (I USED ALMOND MEAL)
½ pound semisweet chocolate
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
¼ teaspoon salt
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
Lay almonds on a microwave-safe plate and toast in microwave in 30-second intervals on high, stirring in between, 3-5 times until nuts are fragrant. Cool to room temperature. In a food processor, grind nuts until very fine, almost like flour. Measure out 1 cup and set aside; discard or save extra, if any, for another use.
Melt the chocolate and butter together in a double boiler; remove from heat and set aside. Beat the eggs with an electric mixer on highest speed, gradually adding the sugar and salt. Continue beating until ribbons form; about 10 minutes. Fold in the chocolate-butter mixture. Gently add the ground almonds. Cover and refrigerate overnight or 8 hours.
Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Use a cookie scoop to form the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in granulated sugar, place on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart and immediately place in the oven. Bake until the center of the cookies are no longer wet, 10-14 minutes. Allow to cool five minutes on sheet before removing to rack. Dust cooled cookies with powdered sugar or more granulated sugar if desired.
Thursday, November 10, 2011
28 Hershey’s Kisses
2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons whipping cream
10 Hershey’s Caramel Kisses
1 cup ground pecans (I TOASTED MINE IN A SKILLET FIRST)
Place plain Hershey Kisses and whipping cream in bowl and melt until chocolates are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Cover; refrigerate 4 to 6 hours or until firm.
Take about 1 tablespoon of firm chocolate mixture for each truffle, shape chocolate around each caramel kiss piece; roll into a ball. (Be sure to cover each caramel kiss piece completely.) Roll in pecans; refrigerate until ready to serve. For best chocolate flavor, allow truffles to soften at room temperature about 5 minutes before eating. Enjoy! ♥
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
HERE IS HOW IT LOOKS AFTER IT IS DIPPED!
THEN I HAD TO TRY THE STRAWBERRY OREOS...OF COURSE!
AND WHY NOT A PEPPERMINT PATTY IN PLACE OF THE PEANUT BUTTER CUP! LOVE AT FIRST BITE!
MY FINAL VERSION WAS MY OWN TWIST. I USED HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES INSTEAD OF THE OREOS AND PLACED THE PEANUT BUTTER CUP IN BETWEEN. A DIVE INTO DARK CHOCOLATE AND THEY WERE READY. WANT A BITE?
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
AFTER MAKING THE QUINOA, YOU CAN DRESS IT UP! FIRE UP THE GRILL PAN AND THROW ON SOME CHICKEN, SCALLIONS.ROSEMARY & PROSCIUTTO! MMMMM!
Monday, November 7, 2011
MAKE YOUR FAVORITE MEATBALL RECIPE-INSERT OVEN SAFE COOKIE STICKS AND BAKE UNTIL COOKED THROUGH!! COOL AND "PLANT" INTO YOUR CUP!
CLICK FOR OUR FAVORITE LEMON ROSEMARY MEATBALL RECIPE! JUST BAKE THEM ON STICKS INSTEAD OF FRYING!
CLICK HERE TO SEE SOME DESSERTS ON STICKS!!!
Article printed from Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy: http://stickygooeycreamychewy.com
Sunday, November 6, 2011
1 Cup Softened Butter
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar (packed)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
2 Cups Flour
1 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips Or Mini M&ms
1 9oz. Bag Hershey Kisses
1. Preheat over to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugars, and vanilla until well blended.
3. Add the flour and blend until smooth.
4. Stir in mini m and m's.
5. Mold a scant tablespoon of cookie dough around each unwrapped kiss, covering completely. Shape into balls.
6. Place onto parchment lined cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set.
8. Cool slightly, move from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
9. Melt extra chocolate for a drizzle, if desired, and drizzle over each cooled cookie. Add sprinkles!
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
*Yes, you read it right: there are NO EGGS in this recipe.
recipe adapted from the homesteading housewife
Saturday, November 5, 2011
Turtle Bark-Makes one 8×8 pan | Preparation line 8×8 pan with nonstick foil
• ½ cup pecans, toasted
Caramel Filling• ½ cup sugar
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 5 tablespoon heavy cream
• 16oz Ghirardelli 65% chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon pecans, finely chopped
- 2oz caramel sauce
- Toasting the pecans: Place pecans on bake sheet pan and toast at 375 degrees for about 5-6 minutes then stir for even toasting and bake for another 5-6 minutes or until nuts darken and smell delish. Remove from oven and cool. Once cooled; chop and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons of chopped pecans and chop it some for a finely chopped consistency; set aside for the end.
- To make the caramel filling: Add sugar and water into a saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Use a wet brush to remove any crystals that form on the side. Once sugar has dissolved increase heat to high. Now and then, using the handle give the pot a swirl to keep the mixture moving. Do not stir the mixture directly. The mixture will start to bubble after a minute. As the mixture darkens to a medium amber color, approximately 5-7 minutes, add the butter and heavy cream to saucepan. The mixture will bubble wildly. Whisk to combine (bubbles will subside upon cooling). Set aside to cool completely.
- To melt the chocolate: Melt gently in the micrwave.
- To assemble: Pour half of melted chocolate into 8×8 pans, using an offset icing spatula smooth out chocolate until an even layer is achieved. Place pan in refrigerator for 5 minutes for chocolate to become slightly harden. Remove from refrigerator and pour ¼ of caramel on top and sprinkle pecans on top of caramel and gently press pecans down into caramel. Place pan in refrigerator for 7 minutes for caramel to become slightly harden. Pour remaining chocolate on top and return to refrigerator for 20 minutes for fully assembled Turtle bark to set
- Finish top by sprinkling remaining 2 tablespoons of finely chopped pecans. Drizzle with caramel.
RECIPE ADAPTED FROM BAKERS ROYALE